Plus Size Salwar Kameez Biography
Plus size women have their own unique needs when purchasing salwar kameez and Indian fashions. Use this guide to help make the most informed decision you can when purchasing plus size Indian Fashions.
Guide Writer’s Qualifications
• One of the original Plus Size Salwar Kameez sellers on eBay and the Internet, with more than 7 years experience selling plus size salwar kameez and Indian Fashions.
• Plus Size Salwar Kameez and Indian Fashion Wearer
• Homes and Fashion Offices in both India and the USA allow the writer to have first hand knowledge of Indian fashions being created and worn both in India and abroad. Pardesi Fashions is a USA licensed business with the State of New Hampshire and a licensed exporter with the Government of India.
• To learn more about our unique Indian Fashions business please visit our About Me’s website links found here: About PardesiFashions
• Plus Size Indian Fashions/Salwar Kameez – Whether you have worn plus size salwar kameez and Indian fashion for years or are new to it, the single most important fact you need to know is this: India has no concept of plus sizes. Sellers offering plus size Indian fashions are either offering it custom made to your measurements or they are offering ready made sizing based on what their idea of plus size clothing may be. For many sellers this is a completely random and varied process. To give you an example of this, in the past three months I have seen salwar kameez being offered in size 3X by many different sellers. One seller had the bust/breast measurement of a 3X listed as 57” and one had it listed incredibly as 41”! Anyone who is a 3X size woman will tell you that 57” is too big for a 3X bust while 41” is more of the size of an American size Large. There are sellers of plus size Indian Fashions and Salwar Kameez who have done research on the proportions of the plus size woman as well as have many years of experience clothing different shapes and sizes. These sellers will come closer to helping you find a better fit in ready made clothing and will be better able to assist you with custom made clothing.
• Know Your Own Measurements – This is one piece of advice that will help you in more ways than one. First, it will allow you to sort out all the variety in sizes as described above. You need to know your bust, waist and hip measurements at a minimum. Most sellers list the bust, waist, hips and length of the suit. A general rule of thumb in the Indian fashion industry is to allow yourself at least 2” extra over your measurements in the bust and waist. Example: You have a 52” bust so you are going to look for a suit with a bust of 54” or more. The 2” extra will result in a very close, tailored fit. Many plus size women find this a little too restrictive (more of this later) and prefer a 3-4” loosing in the bust. 4” is considered a loose fit and anything greater than 4” will rob you of the beautiful shape you are hoping to achieve. If you have a specific problem area (mine are my upper arms) then you really should know that measurement as well. While most sellers will not list these specific measurements you should be able to contact them with your concerns.
• Indian Fabrics – Fabrics used in salwar kameez and Indian fashions are different from most fabrics used in the USA and in western clothing. For the plus size woman, they can be especially restrictive at first. Most plus size fashions in the USA and in western countries have been made with some stretch or give to the fabric for many years. If the item is not specifically marked as “stretch” fabric, it is made up of soft material such as knit which does have some give. When plus size women go into Indian fashions they are not used to fabrics that do not have any give at all. Due to the nature of the material being used, it is especially important that the plus size woman have a properly fitting garment. Make sure you know your measurements and allow yourself enough room for comfort.